Thursday, September 01, 2005

My Hometown--New Ulm, MN


I got to perform in a homecoming of sorts last week. I haven't played in my hometown of New Ulm, MN since moving to Nashville in 1996. I had arrived in town a few days ahead of the band to spend time with my family and handle some last minute promotional details. I visited on-air with 860 KNUJ's Brian Filzen (pictured at right) about Mustang Sally's recent tour schedule and our upcoming CD release.

I had such a wonderful time while in Minnesota. The weather was beautiful and I was able to spend time with and catch up with my family and friends. George's Ballroom was filled with so many people who I haven't seen in years--high school classmates, family friends, neighbors, aunts, uncles, cousins, former teachers and people who just came for curiousity's sake. After all, a seven-woman band isn't something that happens to New Ulm every day!

It was heart-warming to see the support from my community. At one point during the show, Tobi led the entire audience in singing Happy Birthday to me. I was very proud to introduce the people of New Ulm to Mustang Sally and to show them what it is that I do. I wish I had taken more pictures over the week so I could include them here. As we left town, our bus was loaded up with fresh vegetables from my parent's garden and homemade breads from Grandma's kitchen.

Thank you to all my family, friends and supporters who came to the show in New Ulm. For me, it was a chance to come home after years of making music mostly on the road. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Brenda