Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Violin vrs. Fiddle

I know Tobi promised that I’d tell the story of the other violin from Hawkinsville, and I’m a little behind. My most sincere apologies.

Prior to our performance, I spent some time chatting about violins and violin makers with a lovely man named Barry. He asked me to try out a fiddle that a friend of his had made, and I loved it. Great tone, very easy to play, and a fantastic “fiddle” sound, as opposed to my current violin which sounds like a classical violin. I played a few tunes, and reluctantly gave it back to him.

Right as we were about to start “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”, Tobi announced that someone wanted to make a presentation. Barry came out with his violin, and said that he wanted me to have it. To say that I was speechless would be an understatement. I’ve never been so flabberghasted in all my life! (Barry’s violin maker friend, Michael Daugherty, said that he would make a new violin for Barry, so Barry won’t be without.)

My deepest thanks to both of them for an incredible gift; I look forward to playing on it for years to come.

-Sarah