Monday, June 19, 2006

World Cup Anxiety #3 - ANXIOUS!!!

The Bass Player of this band cannot sleep anymore because of the World Cup!

It is so hard for me to know what's going on with all the games and players while being on the road. This has never happened to me before - during the past WCups, I was in Brazil, which made things easier, because nobody would have a gig or rehearsal during a game. Anyway, times are different now, but thanks to (god bless) WI-FI and internet on your cell phone, I am always aware of all the scores and news, but I've been losing some games. Because of all this anxiety, this past weekend on the road I forgot to bring my toothpaste, some stage clothes, jewelry, bus keys, etc...

So far, these are the teams that I would like to comment on:
-England: Too much talk, too little soccer. They are not showing inside the camp a good game, even though they clame to be "good".
-Sweden: Are you kidding me? Larsson is old enough to be my grandpa! (I remember you from 1990!)
-Trinidad: Yeah!!! They are showing an amazing team spirit, what a surprise, for a country that has never been in a WC.
-Italy: Not even with 3 attack players you guys are attacking!
-Germany: Really weak, they are playing at their own house, with everybody cheering for them, and there is no connection between middle camp and attack. I was expecting more...
-Argentina: Great!! They are passing the ball between each other, with a great attack + mid section, but I think they have problems on their defense, as you could see on their game against the Ivory Coast. If you put some "pressure" on their defense, they have a hard time dealing with it... Sorin, has been a little slow, and Ayala has made some mistakes. We'll see how they behave in the playoffs, against stronger teams.
-Spain: Finally, not just being a promise, but a reality.
-Brazil: ... I swear, one of these days my team will give me a heart attack...We have the biggest stars in the world, but the "magic quartet" (Adriano, Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho Gaucho) is not working. In my opinion, if we want to win we need to change. Somebody needs to come back more to pick up the ball from the mid section to the attack. Ronaldo is out of shape because he is coming back from an injury, Adriano has been in "another world" during the games, and then, we play beautifully, but we don't score. And in soccer, if you don't score your opponent will. Also, our side players Cafu and Roberto Carlos have been too slow (maybe because they are over 30 and it's hard to run against 20 year old kids...), which has been forcing us to play more in the middle where all the teams tend to "close", not leaving us too much space to play. We have great players on reserve, but our coach wants to keep the stars in. For me if we don't change, we will lose.

So far, for me, the quality this WC has been pretty low, in an overall look, there hasn't been any surprises, or amazing talent, it has been sad... but let's wait until July 9th and see what happens.
In the meantime, kisses for all ;
Amanda

P.S. These are my personal opinions, and as a soccer lover, I respect everybody else's, and if you would like to discuss it more with me, it's fine, just come talk to me at the merch table after one of our shows.